The Cotuit Library was founded in 1874 by the Cotuit Lyceum Society. Its first permanent home was in the present entrance room, a former school house built in 1830
and acquired for the library in 1894. Through the years the following expansions have allowed the collection to grow: the Guy Lowell addition in 1901, the Richard Gallagher addition in 1963, and
the Kirkman Extension (Phillip Minervino, Architect) in 1977.
The library is owned and managed by the Cotuit Library Association with contributions from its members, special fundraising, and the Town of Barnstable. We are a
member of the Cape Libraries Automated Materials Sharing (CLAMS) network and the Cape and Islands Inter-Library Association.