Our Membership Appeal
The Library is not fully-funded by public funds and thus must rely on Appeals, other fund-raising and grants to supplement its budget. If you support the Library’s and Trustees’ annual village-wide President’s Appeal for contributions, we applaud you! That appeal, however, does not include The Friends Annual Membership Appeal. We assist the Library and the Trustees through our various volunteer fund-raising efforts as described below. Our missions are consistent and we often partner in our efforts. Our independent Friends’ Membership Appeal generates contributions from members that will equate to 10% - 20% of the funds we are committed to providing to the Library during a fiscal year.
Our Volunteering Efforts
As a brief overview, we:
- Annually contribute over $10,000 to the Library’s operating budget, and in most years, we provide our additional funding to support new programs and purchases that we deem important to the success of the Library’s operations.
- Purchase, underwrite or contribute assets or select programs for the Library and its patrons, e.g.
- The telescope, select computers, and replacement of the circulation desk.
- The children’s summer reading programs and movies.
- Museum passes/discounts for the Boston Museum of Fine Arts; The Boston Science Museum; Heritage Plantation and Gardens; and Plimoth Plantation.
- Sponsor community services including:
- Six (6) monthly educational Program Luncheons each fiscal year during September, November, January, February, March and April featuring the talent of artists, gardeners, writers and local personalities
- The annual Book Sale of gently used books
- The Book Nook, daily sale of used books at the Library location
- The Little Free Library, free books to visitors/passers by
- Raise funds through:
- Our Annual Community Membership Appeal during which we encourage patrons to join The Friends as members, volunteers, contributors, or sponsors.
- Specific fund-raising events, from which we garner at least 80% - 90% of our funding. Some of our annual events are:
- The Plant and Bake Sale
- The Annual Raffle
- The December Christmas in Cotuit sale of our Cook Books and Friendship Soup.
- Occasional bequests or memorial gifts in honor of, or in memory of, loved ones.
We Invite You to Become a Friend of the Cotuit Library
Tax-deductible membership dues are for the fiscal year July through June. Dues are $30 for an individual and $40 for a family. Members receive a $3 discount for Luncheon Programs and receive communications about upcoming events. Whether you are able to give us your time, your talents, your dues or your donations, please consider becoming a member to help sustain the Library as a vital village and town resource. Download a membership form below, or pick up a membership tri-fold at the Library.